The Tarble Arts Center permanent collection contains approximately 1,300 items. Intended as a teaching collection, holdings are concentrated in:
- Illinois Folk Arts; primarily mid-20th century and approximately 500 objects- complimented by an Archive Collection of photographs, video and audio recordings, including folk music
- The American Scene Collection of works on paper, approximately 40 pieces; with works by Regionalists Grant Wood, Thomas Hart Benton, John Steuart Curry; and other noted artists, and to which have been added two folios- an additional 50 pieces by Illinois artist Charles Turzak (Nokomis, Illinois)
- 60 paintings by Midwest Impressionists Paul T. Sargent (1880-1946), an EIU alumnus and Charleston, Illinois native; and 9 paintings by Sargent’s colleague, Robert M. Root (1863-1937; Shelbyville, Illinois)
- Late 20th century/contemporary works on paper, mostly watercolors and original prints; and focused on Midwestern-Region Artists
- Large-scale outdoor sculpture, located on the EIU grounds, by Illinois artists- EIU Art faculty, EIU Art alumnus, and noted artist Michael Dunbar
A man standing in front of some pallets.
The Folk Arts collection is a sub-collection of the TAC Permanent Collection; and largely compiled & collected through funding from an NEH grant. The…